Monday, March 15, 2010

Defining the Relationship, or Rather, Non-Relationship

In college, whenever one of the girls started to see a new guy, we’d laughingly begin to ask after a few dates (or drunken encounters at various house parties) if they’d had the DTR yet. The Defining the Relationship talk.

We’d get all excited and giggly about the prospect of someone’s soon-to-be new boyfriend. However, since school ended and the real world began, particularly the part where we’ve embraced the online dating concept, more often than not we seem to be Defining the Non-Relationship.

As my friends and I take turns regaling each other with stories about our many bad dates, each one worse than the last, the common thread is almost always, the boy wants to go out again. Although we spend many, many phone calls commiserating over our shared inability to find “The One,” we’re at least able to console ourselves with the fact that there are guys interested - just not the ones we like.

My friend Jamie is a case in point. She's recently been testing out PlentyofFish.com, and finally decided to meet up with someone, even though it involved traveling to the dreaded Bethesda (I'm sorry, but there's just no easy way to get there from Arlington!).

A couple of drinks later, followed by a parking ticket and the awkward hug good-bye, Jamie was on her way home again without having made a "Loooooove Connection."

But the next day, her inbox was home to the following:

Jamie,

It was nice to finally meet you in person.

I liked the way you looked into my eyes unwaveringly. The eyes are the windows to the soul. What did you see in mine? I'm interested to hear what you thought of me in person. You seem like a legitimately good person.

I'd like to see you again sometime, but in a different setting. Maybe I could show you around Great Falls if we have a nice weekend when we're both free. We could share our gratitude of nature as we walk through the trails along the Potomac.

How's that sound to you?

Josh

Thus the need for the Non-Relationship Talk. When I'm the one that has to give the speech, it typically involves a conversation where I say things like "Oh, I'd love to get together again, but I'm traveling for work this week...and next." Or, more likely, I just ignore my phone for days at a time to avoid having to explain the feelings are not mutual. He usually gets the message after the third unreturned text.

Clearly, I have a problem with having the non-break-up talk. I know I should just man up and tell it like it is, but my resolve always seems to break down somewhere between the dial tone and when the phone starts ringing, leaving me with awkwardy Cory-type moments.


My (unpopular and yes, immature) theory is if we've only been out once, I shouldn't have to let you down gently. Didn't I mention that being able to read my mind was a requirement for the first date? You should just know that I don't want to go out again. (In all fairness, I think my signals for interest and non-interest are very clear, but I guess if you haven't seen one to compare the other to, you might not think the same thing.

Jamie, however, at 23 is far more adult than I am. She bit the bull by the horns and responded to him with:

Josh,

It was nice meeting you as well. You seemed very genuine and sincere, which I appreciate. However, I don't think we're on the same page and I don't want to lead you on by continuing to see you. I wish you the best.

Jamie

So much better, right? Apparently, wisdom doesn't always come with age.

2 comments:

  1. Yea, guys should see it coming if they know how to read a woman's cues (body language) properly. Unfortunately, they don't teach that in school, but it only takes 30 seconds to send an email like your friend. And it sounds like it'd be an empowering exercise for you, while it'd save the guy some guesswork.

    This is a great post on the same topic:

    http://datethedistrict.blogspot.com/2010/03/when-youre-just-not-that-into-him.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to Jamie for being direct and honest without being cruel. It is possible to be one without being the other.

    Avoiding an uncomfortable conversation and assuming a guy will read your mind and "figure it out" isn't the best practice and yes, as you said, immature...

    If it isn't right, that is ok. And no, you don't need to let a guy down easy after only one date, but you do need to be honest and up front with him.

    Any guy will appreciate Jamie's honesty and lack of avoidance, whether he likes the answer or not.

    ReplyDelete