Thursday, October 22, 2009

Online Dating Profiles


I've tried Match.com on and off for the last year without much success. Sure, I've had lots of dates, and on the plus side, almost every one of the guys I've been out with wants to see me again - I just don't really want to see them!

In fact, I think I've only met one guy I was actually interested in - Jack - and clearly that did not work out well.

To be honest, it seems that I'm sending out all kinds of winks / e-mails (no waiting for guys to make the first move online!), but not getting much of a response.

Which leads me to believe there must be something inherently wrong with my profile.

I know there have been all kinds of articles written about what to include in online profiles, like "Three Ways to Build A Better Online Dating Profile" and "Dating Profile Don'ts", and I've tried to incorporate these ideas in moderation.

But something's still not working - so, for your viewing pleasure, I've posted the main body of my profile here. For those who have never checked out Match.com, this is subsidized by other brief answers (think Twitter length) about For Fun, My Job and Favorite Hot Spots, etc.

I think I sound totally date-worthy, but I ask you, where have I gone wrong?

ABOUT ME AND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:

I'm originally from Minnesota, spent four years in Missouri at school and moved to DC because (ok, this is a little dorky) I loooove "The West Wing." Having been on the East Coast for three years, I've adopted the Steelers as my NFL team but still retain my Midwestern values. I'm just as comfortable in a dress and heels as my pajamas - which I pretty much change into as soon as I get home each night.

I love to travel and can pack light, or bring everything but the kitchen sink depending on the trip. Beach vacations in the spring and summer, ski trips in the winter and spontaneous weekend getaways are a few of my favorites.

When it comes to what I'm looking for, I like to be around people who, no matter the activity or occasion, make it more fun just by being there. I want to date someone who's also my best friend - someone who I can have a serious conversation with, but who I can also be a total goofball around. I want to hang with your friends, and you should be able to hang with mine - bonus points for sitting through a chick flick!

So, whether we're going for a run, visiting a museum or playing a round of golf or a game of Scrabble, let's hang out and see what happens - if you've made it this far, send me a wink or an e-mail:)

Random facts about me:

*My roommate and I tried out for The Amazing Race last spring - our video rocked!

*I read cheesy romance novels because I can finish them quickly, and if I have to put it down for awhile, I don't forget the plot line

*I've had to ban myself from watching Lost because I spend the whole time ranting about how things don't make sense and getting frustrated that we never seem to get any answers

*I don't cry often, but am almost guaranteed to shed a tear or two in the movie theater, no matter what the movie

*I'm really independent, but I crave cuddling with someone at night

*I love cake - seriously, they sell it by the slice at the grocery store and I think that might be the best invention ever

*I was valedictorian and a state swimmer in high school

*If a computer or copier breaks in the office, you can pretty much assume I must have touched it recently

6 comments:

  1. I tried Match, but it didn't work for me either. I think your profile is great, except that fact that you are a Steelers fan! :) JK! Just keep putting yourself out there, and he will come along! I'm definitely trying to find the right person too! I just have to find time to date! I'm dying to hear about your date with 9.5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think your profile is great. I think it really exemplifies who you are, and that's the most important thing. Trying to tailor it to attract someone is tricky because you could lose the quirks in the profile that show who you are. I agree with Sabrina that you should keep putting yourself out there both online and in person. The right person will see you for who you are and be interested in you for who you are -- that's what you want. Remember, sometimes the best experiences and people come along once you stop looking... that's how I found the love of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's my opinion that 90% of profile success rate is simply your photo or photos. What you write is simply filler. A guy would do a run down on your profile to see how nutty you are, high maintence, or sexually incline you might be. But it comes down on your photos to get guys attention. Sounds pretty shallow, huh?

    Truth of the matter is that this is good news because you have 100% control on how you want project yourself. If you want attract a good fish, then got to have good bait. By no means, I don't suggest putting up compromising photos. Putting up some black & whites, interesting angles, or what have you, may grab more attention.

    Furthermore, if you going to be attracting less bad boys, more relationship guys, make it very easy to ask you out. if they dont take the bait, then its a miss and no need to dwell on it. Remember you are in the driver seat and you have the position of choosing who will be in your bullpen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see any issues with your profile! I should post what mine says. It's not nearly as creative and cool as yours.

    BUT ... I have a question for the Date Diary DC readers. After how many dates (that go really well) does it become annoying to not get kissed? I think I am dealing with a real gentleman here, but even genteel men need some action, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all about the photos. Guys might pretend otherwise, but we're lying. My blog has a similar vibe to this - just done some rules/guideline for girls/boys when online dating. Drop by sometime: http://plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely, Tara! If one of you doesn't go for it by the third date, I think it's a relationship destined for friendship rather than romance.

    ReplyDelete