Monday, September 21, 2009

Random Run-Ins

The DC metropolitan area has a population of more than 7.5 million - and yet, I keep running into the same people all the time!

How is this possible? And why does the rate of random run-ins seem to rise in direct proportion to how much I'm trying to avoid someone?

Not once, not twice, but three times this weekend did I see people I wasn't exactly overjoyed to encounter.

Run-in No. 1: Cory, the bouncer at O'Sullivans. Against my better judgment, we went out once for smoothies (I know, doesn't get much cornier) . Very nice guy, but VERY socially awkward. He spent the night before our "date" (I use the term loosely because I'm not sure 45 minutes over blended fruit really counts) memorizing the standings of the British Open to impress me. Potentially sweet if it had been someone else, but in this case just weird.

I was really feeling like a low-key night on Friday and O'Sullivans would have been perfect - except Cory was working the door. Given that he texted for weeks after our get-together (and I studiously avoided responding) I decided it wasn't worth the run-in. I immediately crossed the street (to avoid being seen) and headed to Carpool for...

Run-in No. 2: Jack*, from Match.com, was standing next to my roommate when I came out of the bathroom.

When I met Jack, he seemed perfect on paper (or online). I was really excited to see where things might go, and we went out several times before I headed home to Minnesota to run a marathon - he even gave me a good luck card our last night together - major cool points! We spoke for a few minutes every day while I was home, but on the night before my return flight he got all weird and defensive asking, "Do you even like me? I mean, you seem angry every time we talk. If this is how things are going to be, we might as well just stop now."

WHAT?! Obviously I liked him if I was calling every day. Granted, I tend to be pretty sarcastic when I'm unsure of myself and getting to know someone new, but he freaked out without giving me much of a chance. I was so disturbed by what felt like him laying down guidelines for an entire relationship, I wasn't sure what to do. It seemed like he was projecting feelings from a past incident onto me, but been there and done that - second-guessing everything I did because of how a boyfriend's previous girlfriend had behaved - and wasn't about to repeat the experience.

I waited a few weeks, but decided to try again because it seemed like we could have something great together. After asking him out several times (yes, I pursued him!), our schedules finally meshed and we got together once more. I thought things went pretty well (minus him backing into a parked car with his brand new truck - which didn't exactly set the mood for a good-night kiss), but he never called again.

And there he was at Carpool - which I don't think he'd ever even been to until I took him there on our first date - acting all nonchalant as he said hi!

I was so annoyed to have my night ruined. There was no need for him to be all buddy-buddy like we were friends or something! And he'd obviously sought me out - he even said he thought he'd seen me sitting in another part of the bar earlier.

I believe a stream of angry texting followed, but I prefer to block out the memory - and the embarrassment.

Run-in No. 3: CHARLIE! Who still had not called back, by the way. My roommate, Lori, and I were coming out of Rock Bottom after the Steelers disheartening loss to the Bears on Sunday, and I was trying to peer discreetly into Union Jack's to see if he was working when I realize the guy walking out the door toward me is him.

AWKWARD!

I think I mumbled something and bolted for the exit. At least I can take solace in the fact I was rockin' my Steelers jersey and denim skirt - I KNOW I looked good.

Really not a great weekend on the dating front.

*Changed at Jack's request from original post earlier today - yes, he's following my blog. Interesting...

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. "Jack" is following your blog. Interesting choice to let that happen.

    Anyway, good luck with your blog. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Simone - it wasn't really a choice. Looks like he's doing a little bit of Facebook stalking.

    ReplyDelete