Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Midnight Visitor

My roommate Kimberley and I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and hit up Carpool on Sunday night. An old friend of hers was going to be there, and I was ready to have some fun after my friend Charlie* ditched me earlier in the evening - after which I ended up coming home from the grocery store with a bottle of wine instead of the milk I had intended to get. Bottoms up!

It was a low-key night at the bar, and we were just hanging out. I spent most of the night talking to Kimberley's buddy Dave*. Given that I'd finished the entire bottle of wine before heading to Carpool, I was ready for bed about midnight. I said my goodbyes, gave Dave my number and got into a cab. I was sound asleep 20 minutes later.

At 4am, though, I woke up to the sound of voices. Apparently, Kimberley had brought Dave home with her, because they weren't done catching up by the time the bar closed - which I learned as I walked out of my bedroom in a t-shirt and boy shorts with mascara caked around my eyes!

"What are YOU doing here?" I said. Not quite the reaction Dave had expected, I think. In fact, it seemed more like he was hoping I'd welcome him with open arms. Not likely!

Kimberley had just finished making Velveeta shells and cheese (a fav in our house) and I was happy to help her eat it. But by then she was ready for bed and left me alone to entertain Dave while he waited for his cab - the last thing I wanted to do. Poor guy, he couldn't seem to understand why I wasn't ecstatic to see him.

Generally speaking, I like to leave the bar scene at the bar. If a guy wants to see me again, he can ask me out on a proper date. While Dave was nice, I wasn't exactly waiting by the phone for him to call, and was NOT excited to see him in my house only a few hours later. Not to mention he'd just woken me up from a sound sleep, and made some comment about four-eyes (are we back in third grade?) in regard to the glasses I was rockin'. As I downed my late-night snack, I kept one eye out the window for the cab's headlights, and finally, finally it arrived.

I stopped just short of shoving Dave out the door as he looked at me with confusion on his face. "So, uh, you gave me your number earlier..." he said. "Yes," I replied. "Feel free to use it - but get out of my house!"
  • *Names changed to protect identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment