Saturday, January 7, 2012

Not One, But TWO Dates

It’s a new year, and in the spirit of starting off on the right foot, one of my resolutions is to meet more people. I’m off to a good start with two dates in the next week!

The only problem is that both guys asked ME to pick the place….grrrr! Generally speaking, I really prefer that the guy choose the location for the first date a) because even though I always offer to pay, typically I expect him to and want it to be somewhere he’s comfortable doing that, b) if someone suggests something that’s not your run-of-the-mill activity like ice skating I’m immediately smitten, and c) I apparently don’t get out enough in Chicago because I still struggle to suggest where to go for a drink, beyond the couple spots I got with co-workers.

If I was in DC, this wouldn’t be a problem. Four Courts was my SPOT. The Irish pub was perfect – busy enough that you didn’t feel weird, but quiet enough to hear each other talk. And, most importantly, they served Strongbow, my fave drink of choice!

Funnily enough, I’m pretty sure I was introduced to the place by a guy that picked it for our first date back in the day, but I quickly adopted it as my own.

In Chicago, though, I’m at a loss. If we’re meeting after work, it’s easiest to stay downtown but other than Jake Melnick’s and Mike Ditka’s, both of which are literally around the corner from my office, I just don’t even know what the options are…which ultimately ends up revealing to potential dates just how little I’ve been drinking lately. Ugh.

On the plus side, according to one of my upcoming dates, my lack of knowledge about the downtown area isn’t surprising.

“Bars downtown close at like 9 no one hangs out in the loop area,” he texted (lack of punctuation and all).

So guess I’m excused there! But, my other date suggested I pick a place near where I live in Lincoln Park – which is even worse! I know the couple bars near my house where I can grab a beer, but I have no idea what the “cool” places are to hang out, much less what would be a good spot for a first date.

The worst part is, the location can set the tone for the entire date. And not only that, it’s going to give them an idea of where I hang out (or more likely, where I’m clearly NOT spending time), allowing them to judge me before we’ve even got a beer in front of us.

Dating has become so fraught with pitfalls! If you’ve got any ideas of places that I could turn into my new first date place, PLEASE send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. For this, I say, just be truthful. Tell them you are still not familiar with Chicago as you have only gone to easily accessible outings near you, and you rather be introduced to new spots for hanging out, even if it is outside of your area.

    Sometimes guys are just as nervous about picking the wrong area as you, and that might give him a chance to admit that. It might even lead to both of you trying somewhere absolutely new to you, some spontaneity.

    ReplyDelete